Do you read any author’s blogs? If so, are you looking for information on their next project? On the author personally? Something else?
Usually when I visit an author’s blog or website I’m looking for one of two things – their next book release(s) and/or a complete list of books they have written.
Most authors I google I’m already familiar with somehow. If it’s my first time searching them I heard their name somewhere and want to see a book list and find a synopsis. For more familiar authors, like James Patterson, I am looking for an updated book list to replace my old one with.
For this week’s edition of Weekly Geeks, we’re going to take a closer look at character names. What are some of your favorite character names?
Go to Google or a baby name site and look up a favorite character’s name. What does their name mean? Do you think the meaning fits the character? Why or why not?
If you’d like, look up your own name as well and share the meaning.
I can’t really think of a whole lot of favorite character names, only those that stand out or are very familiar. Alex Cross is one I will know forever. I like the name Kinsey (from Sue Grafton’s ABC Series) and Stephanie Plum is just a great combination and brings out a picture of a character more sweet and pristine and not so much a bounty hunter. I also like Lindsay Boxer because the last name is not one I’ve heard before.
- Kinsey – Royal Victory
- Alex – Defending Men
- Stephanie – Crown
- Lindsay – Uncertain
What are you passionate about besides reading and blogging? For example, are you crafty (knitting, woodworking, scrapbooking, model building)? Do you cook? Into gaming (computer or board)? Sports (player or spectator)? Photography? Maybe you like geocaching, rock climbing? Or love attending events like renaissance fairs, concerts? Music? Dancing? You get the idea.
Aside from reading, I am passionate about writing. I haven’t been doing much of it lately and trying to get out of that funk, but if I could do nothing for the rest of my life but write I would be happy. I’m also a huge fan of music, movies and television. I love concerts and attending other local events in my city. I try to keep updated on all the movie buzz and television shows I watch. Usually if a friends wants to know something about entertainment they come and ask me.
I found this on J. Kaye’s Book Blog and thought I would join along.
Following in the creator’s footsteps, I will keep a record of what I finished last week and what I am reading this week. While every week is different, I most likely won’t get around to all the books listed in a designated week but I may at least start them all.
Finished Last Week:
- Startled by His Furry Shorts by Louise Rennison
- Spiderwick Chronicles: The Wrath of Mulgarath by Holly Black
- Matilda by Roald Dahl
- Have You Seen…? by David Thomson
- Persepolis 2 by Marjane Satrapi
Reading This Week:
- A Thousand Acres by Jane Smiley (just finished)
- The Host by Stephenie Meyer
- Three to Get Deadly by Janet Evanovich
- Mystic River by Dennis Lehane
- Pop Goes the Weasel by James Patterson
- Love is a Many Trousered Thing by Louise Rennison
- Stop in the Name of Pants by Louise Rennison
- East of Eden by John Steinbeck
I’ll try and remember to do this regularly, so remind me if you see I haven’t posted in awhile.
Found this on My Friend Amy‘s site today. Sounds like something fun.
1. Name a TV show series in which you have seen every episode at least twice: Friends, Beverly Hills 90210
2. Name a show you can’t miss: Lost or Grey’s Anatomy
3. Name an actor that would make you more inclined to watch a show: Kyra Sedgwick or Michelle Pfeiffer
4. Name an actor who would make you less likely to watch a show: Not a fan of Jack Black, Sacha Baron Cohen or Will Farrell
5. Name a show you can, and do, quote from: Friends
6. Name a show you like that no one else enjoys: well in regards to my friends, I’m the only one who likes The Closer, Saving Grace, and Fringe
7. Name a TV show which you’ve been known to sing the theme song: Friends
8. Name a show you would recommend everyone to watch: The Closer or Saving Grace
9. Name a TV series you own: I have Friends, Will and Grace, ER, Grey’s Anatomy, Lois & Clark, NewsRadio, Lost, Saving Grace, The Closer, Joan of Arcadia, Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip, 21 Jump Street, Beverly Hills 90210, Las Vegas, Nip/Tuck, Saved By the Bell, Sex and the City, and Weeds
10. Name an actor who launched his/her entertainment career in another medium, but has surprised you with his/her acting choices in television: Well Holly Hunter and Kyra Sedgwick both started out in movies and have made a very successful return to the spotlight in television
11. What is your favourite episode of your favourite series? That’s too hard, but the series finales of both Friends and Will and Grace, or the two part of ER when Carter and Lucy are stabbed on Valentine’s Day, also the first appearance of Mark Sloan of Grey’s Anatomy
12. Name a show you keep meaning to watch, but you just haven’t gotten around to yet: The Tudors and Mad Men
13. Ever quit watching a show because it was so bad? I haven’t fully given up on anything. Watching Medium died off and same with Desperate Housewives and The Sopranos but I’ve continued catching up when I get a chance and still record them.
14. Name a show that’s made you cry multiple times: Grey’s Anatomy
15. What do you eat when you watch TV? dinner or ice cream … usually I just drink wine
16. How often do you watch TV? I watch some every day
17. What’s the last TV show you watched? The Sopranos
18. What’s your favourite/preferred genre of TV? Drama
19. What was the first TV show you were obsessed with? Beverly Hills, 90210
20. What TV show do you wish you never watched? Hmmm … not a lot of regrets but I wasn’t a huge fan of the Office
21. What’s the weirdest show you enjoyed? Lost or Fringe … same creator and both great but very strange
22. What TV show scared you the most? Medium had a lot of suspense and scary stories … America’s Most Wanted did when I was a kid
23. What is the funniest TV show you have ever watched? Friends or Weeds
My Friend Amy added question 24
24) What show was cancelled too early? Inconceivable, Mr. and Mrs. Smith, Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip … I know there are a couple others but I can’t remember right now