I was cutting it close on finishing this challenge. I had all but one book finished for awhile now but had committed to reading Uglies for book club in June which meant I had to wait some time.
Summer so far has been a productive challenge completion time of year and this may have been one of the most fun. All the books I chose were from my own shelves which added to my goal of reading what I already owned instead of buying. Good luck to everyone still finishing up before June 20!!
My Goal – 10 Books
- Dead Until Dark by Charlaine Harris – FINISHED MAR 28, 2009
- The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd – FINISHED APR 3, 2009
- Knit Two by Kate Jacobs – FINISHED APR 13, 2009
- Uglies by Scott Westerfeld – FINISHED JUNE 9, 2009
- Roses Are Red by James Patterson – FINISHED MAR 31, 2009
- Fool by Christopher Moore – FINISHED MAR 30, 2009
- The Notebook by Nicolas Sparks – FINISHED APR 4, 2009
- Four to Score by Janet Evanovich – FINISHED APR 23, 2009
- Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen – FINISHED APR 27, 2009
- The Dirty Secrets Club by Meg Gardiner – FINISHED MAY 12, 2009
Author: Scott Westerfled
Finished: June 9, 2009
My first attempt at this highly recommended young adult series.
Uglies is how at the age of 16 all teens must undergo a transformational surgery to become a “pretty” and join all the other pretties in New Pretty Town. Except it appears not all uglies want to become pretty.
I was excited to start reading this series because I’ve heard so much about it, and when I did I suddenly felt that I had just read a YA version of The Host by Stephenie Meyer, in a sense.
While I enjoyed reading this book, flying through the pages and very interested what was going to happen to the characters from beginning to end, I wasn’t as excited to start book 2 as I thought. It’s on my shelf and ready to go, so I will be reading it soon, but I think as the series goes on I will become even more interested in this idea of a new world.
Challenges: Scott Westerfeld Mini-Challenge, A-Z Challenge, 999 Challenge, 100+ Challege, Countdown Challenge, New Author Challenge, RYOB Challenge, YA Challenge, 1st in Series Challenge, TBR Challenge, Spring Reading Thing
Other reviews: Whimpulsive, Reading With Tequila, Under the Boardwalk, Lost in Books
Title: The Emerald City of Oz
Author: L. Frank Baum
Finished: June 8, 2009
Another adventure with Dorothy and the gang, this time Dorothy rescues her family from being kicked out of their home by taking them back on a journey to Oz with her just before it is invaded by the evil gnome king.
It was a cute story, not my favorite, and it took awhile to read so I’ll probably be waiting some time before checking out the next one.
Challenges: Decades Challenge, 100+ Challenge, A Visit to Oz Challenge, 999×2 Challenger