Title: A River Runs Through It and Other Stories
Author: Norman Maclean
Finished: July 21, 2009
After many weeks of reading through these short stories, I finally finished the last one. It was such fun reading the short story that the film A River Runs Through It was based on, especially since it’s been so long since I watched the movie. This was the perfect opportunity to read the story and become reacquainted with the film at the same time.
This collection of novellas incorporates Maclean’s own experiences in the forest service, living in the mountains in the west, plus camping and fishing, to create this world where life isn’t easy, family isn’t easy, and finding out what you truly love despite everything else.
His stories are so real and personable that every person who reads it can relate in some way to the message he has penned for eternity.
*Challenges: 100+ Challenge, New Authors Challenge, RYOB Challenge, Book vs. Movie Challenge, Summer Vacation Reading, 999×2 Challenge, Create a Colorful Summer, Christmas in July
Caribousmom has created this new challenge that runs for a full year – August 1 – July 31, 2010. It sounds like such a fun challenge that really creates a random selection process, not just what you feel like reading.
- NO lists allowed. Books for the challenge are chosen one at a time when the mood strikes.
- Sign up at any time during the challenge period using Mr. Linky below. Please give me a direct link to your blog post about the challenge. If you do not have a blog, no worries. Simply enter your name and leave the URL box on Mr. Linky blank.
- Book reviews are not required, but if you want to write a review I will be providing a review Mr. Linky after August 1st.
- Books are selected one at a time using the following procedure:
- Randomly select any number of books from either your physical OR your virtual TBR pile (I don’t care how you do this, but it must be random…no “cherry picking” allowed)
- Assign a number to each book based on how many books you selected (ie: if you selected 14 books, assign each book a number from 1 through 14; if you selected 28 books, assign each book a number from 1 through 28…you get the idea)
- Go to THIS SITE and use the TRUE RANDOM NUMBER GENERATOR located in the upper right hand corner of the page to randomly select the book you will read. NO CHEATING – whatever the random number generator generates is the book you must read!
- Each time you select a book for the challenge, you will use this procedure. You many select different books each time, choose a different amount of books each time, etc…have fun, mix it up, keep it random.
I have chosen to work on the Level III – which is to read 12 books randomly. My 12 books will be chosen randomly by the true random number generator from my own TBR list. August 1 I will type in my numbers to find out what my first book will be.
- Big Bad Wolf by James Patterson – SEPT 1
- Interview with the Vampire by Anne Rice (up next)