Title: Thank You For Smoking
Author: Christopher Buckley
Finished: June 20, 2010
Adapted to film a couple years ago, Thank You For Smoking, is about Nick Naylor, vice president and lobbyist for tobacco industry who suddenly finds himself under the bright and accusatory stares of the world as he tries to increase spending on cigarettes while promoting safe living and health.
I saw this movie last year, and vaguely remembered the storyline. It was very interesting to read the actual story, many things different in the book than the movie.
Nick spends his days promoting smoking, spending money on advertising for and against smoking, carrying on a secret affair with a reporter who uses his private words and their secret conversations for her own gain. His friends all stand by him, each of them working and lobbying for their own controversial company. It’s not long before he finds himself in a life threatening situation that leaves him wondering for the first time ever if smoking is really something he wants to be standing behind.
*challenges: monthly mixer mele, 1010 category challenge, new author challenge, tbr challenge, ryob challenge, twentyten challenge, 100+ challenge, books to movies, project fill in the blanks, june 12×12 challenge, spring reading thing
Late again, but I’ve been trying to figure out my reading for the next month and compare it to challenges that are coming up and ending soon. I think I made a great dent and nearly finished last month’s nightstand which is a great accomplishment.
The last book I finished was A Darkness More Than Night by Michael Connelly and it was pretty good, but not my favorite Harry Bosch. I will be reading at least two more of his book over the next month to finish a challenge with this series. I’m looking forward to catching up. I just started In Cold Blood by Truman Capote and will be starting book 6 of Harry Potter very soon.
My list from May:
- The Sign of the Twisted Candles by Carolyn Keene
- The Clue of the Broken Locket by Carolyn Keene
- Immortal in Death by J.D. Robb
- Alex Cross’s Trial by James Patterson
- A Darkness More Than Night by Michael Connelly
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J.K. Rowling
- F is for Fugitive by Sue Grafton
- Four Past Midnight by Stephen King (IN PROGRESS)
- Sail by James Patterson
- In Cold Blood by Truman Capote
- Thank You for Smoking by Christopher Buckley
- Cougar Club by Susan McBride
I’m rolling over the three books not finished in last nightstand, plus adding in all my other good summer reads. For June, I’ll be reading:
- Four Past Midnight by Stephen King (In Progress)
- In Cold Blood by Truman Capote (In Progress)
- Cougar Club by Susan McBridge
- Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince by J.K. Rowling
- Let the Great World Spin by Colum McCann
- City of Bones by Michael Connelly
- Lost Light by Michael Connelly
- Ten Big Ones by Janet Evanovich
- 6th Target by James Patterson
- 7th Heaven By James Patterson
- 8th Confession by James Patterson
- 9th Judgment by James Patterson
- The Girlfriend’s Guide to Understanding Men (In Progress)
It looks long by many of these books (James Patterson) will be quick and fun reads so I should have too much of a problem finishing them up before the end of July.
May might not have been my most productive reading month, but I still have fun getting caught up in challenges and reading some good Summer kick off books. June appears to be shaping up much better, and I have hope that the rest of the year will only continue to increase.
- 5th Horseman by James Patterson (TBR)
- Dead in the Family by Charlaine Harris (TBR)
- Clue in the Diary by Carolyn Keene
- Nancy’s Mysterious Letter by Carolyn Keene
- Password to Larkspur Lane by Carolyn Keene
- Who Moved My Cheese by Spencer Johnson (TBR)
- To the Nines by Janet Evanovich (TBR)
- Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy (TBR)
- Rich Again by Anna Maxted (TBR)
- 9th Confession by James Patterson
- Dead in the Family by Charlaine Harris
- Adventures of Harold and the Purple Crayon
- Who Moved My Cheese by Spencer Johnson
- Let the Great World Spin by Colum McCann
- Carrie Diaries by Candace Bushnell
Challenges Finished: Vampire Series Challenge, Sookie Stackhouse Challenge, Thriller/Suspense Challenge, April 12×12 Challenge, Lord of the Rings Read-a-long
Challenges Joined: May 12×12 Reading Challenge